Friday, February 17, 2012

Appetites

Recently, I began to make a change in my eating habits.  I disciplined myself in regards to food choices and portions.  I did so because I desired to become a more healthy person so that I am at my peak and able to offer my absolute best in my service to the Lord.  This has been a challenge.

I did not realize that certain appetites of mine had become very strong!

It was only when I began to attempt to alter and deny those appetites that the extent of their grip on my life became evident.

As I continued to stick with my plan, I noticed certain appetites began to wane.  At one time almost crippling, certain appetites were now all but gone.  How did this happen?

How could this happen- how could these cravings seemingly just disappear?

I realized that my appetites had become so potent because I constantly fed them!  The appetites began as a mild, almost subconscious urge.  I fulfilled those urges and satisfied them- momentarily.  By giving in to the urge and indulging it, I legitimized it to my conscious being as a need.

Now the urge had permission to come back- and this time more strongly.

Imagine a salesman knocking on your door.  If you invite him in, entertain his presentation, stop short of buying, but maintain a friendly demeanor he may be inclined to come back.  Should he come back, and that time you made a small purchase he would be even more inclined to keep coming back.

Now imagine that you had strongly rebuffed his initial proposition.  The chances that he would have returned have now been significantly lowered.  If he did return, and was turned down again, the likelihood of another return has been diminished even more.  The same principle applies with appetites.

Begin to deny them and they gradually lessen; feed them and they grow.

To avoid being overtaken in our fleshly, sinful appetites, we must resist them.  Denying our urges can only be successfully done through the power of the Lord.  We cannot fight fleshly urges in the flesh!  As we deny our appetites and begin to purge our lives of harmful things, we must remember to replace those things with useful things.  As I eliminated certain poor food choices from my diet, I had to add better options to take their place.

Walk in faith and trust in the Lord to grant you the strength to resist harmful appetites.  Trust in God to provide good things to add to your life to replace the excised damaging appetites.

No comments:

Post a Comment