Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leave Your Troubles

Another sleepless night, I fear
Of restless, wistful yawns.
Sleep evades me once again,
And soon the new day dawns.

The day that was had lingered so
I could not leave behind.
The cares and burdens it had held
Still weighed upon my mind.

With the setting of the sun,
My soul cried out for rest!
And though my body didst agree,
My mind would get the best
Of me and keep me up this night
While others drift away
To be refreshed, recharged, renewed;
But me, I had to stay.

And so all night I wondered why
I could not join that band,
That blessed troop that occupied
Sweet never-never land.

My eyes would burn but never shut,
So full of sand and fire.
Try as I might to slow it down,
My mind just wouldn't tire!

Whizzing, whirring, overloaded
From a day of care-
The topsy-turvy pace it kept
Belied my frozen stare.

Behind dull eyes, my brain's aglow
With worry, woe, and thought.
And deeper into night I drift,
While not a "ZZZZZ" I've caught.

But then I realized the thing
That I should have before-
The reason that I cannot rest
And slumber, sleep and snore-
I've carried burdens all day long,
Borne sorrows, pain, attacks.
The worries of the world had weighed
And bent and bowed my back.

I hurried through and did not take
The time to shed my load.
I should have left that heavy weight
Along life's busy road.

That road we all must travel as
We make our way through life.
The road that takes its twists and turns
Through sorrow, pain, and strife.

The road that brings us down dark trails
Of danger and despair,
O'er faulty footholds, unsure paths
That seem to go nowhere.

Beside this road each day we stop
To rest and catch our breath-
Not hurrying to reach its end,
For we know that it holds death.

But on our way we sometimes find
Redemption, mirth, and grace.
And with these helps we soldier on
To find a better place.

Then as each day draws to a close,
Night signals to us, "Sleep.
Lay down your burdens and your cares,
These through the night can't keep."

We must let go and on the morrow
Wake to find again.
But oft they seem to disappear
As though they hadn't been.

Sometimes we find them on our way,
And with them we contend.
Another day we carry on
New daylight hours to spend.

Toiling under strain and stress-
Something we all must do-
Working in the noon-time sun
Until the day is through.

Leave the troubles of the old day
In the setting sun.
Maybe in the morn discover
All of them are gone!

Maybe some are waiting right beside
Your chosen way.
Not to worry though, dear friend,
You only carry them one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment